The Redpath Sugar Refinery

The Redpath Sugar Refinery first inspired me to paint.   I saw it first on a school field trip when I was about eight. I believe we took a tour.  I went back to school and painted it from memory, on fire,  engulfed in vermilion flames, imagining the smell of the burning sugar. I put in  a lady sticking her head out of the the long, grey  chute, screaming for help. Her eyes were  green and her hair was long and blond.  Even at the time, I wondered how the lady got into the chute, but never mind-artistic license.  From the top of the silo a worker in  blue overalls plunged to his death!  My second grade teacher, Mrs. Harper, was so impressed she sent the masterpiece off to an exhibition. I never saw the painting again but I have dreamt of this building since and whenever I see it I think of my painting; the bright red flames, the steely grey chute, the  massive silos and the  screaming lady.



No comments:

Post a Comment